Submit! Nearly There is a zine project meant to address the serious absence and silencing of stories about the experiences of queer people of color.
Ain’t I A Woman: Diversity Speaks on Femme Identity and Feminism on October 7th!
“Queer Women of Color Speak on Feminism and Femme Identity: Ain’t I A Woman?”
QWOC+ Boston has been invited to co-host Boston NOW’s October Feminism and Dessert discussion (we’ve been partnering with this program every year since it was part of Center for New Words) and we’d love for you to join us!
We’re inviting you to show up and jump into what promises to be a candid /informal conversation femme identity as it relates to women of color. Moreover, we are excited about bringing women of color from different experiences ( i.e. queer, LGBT, straight etc) to the table to share their own reflections on femme identity, femininity as it differs from culture to culture (or discuss whether or not it does!), and cultural gender norms.
Opening up this conversation are three very different feminists:
- Spectra Speaks (Founder of QWOC+ Boston | Naija Afrofeminist)
- Rayshauna Gray (Organizer for Young Boston Feminists | New Wave Feminist)
- Idalia Poetry (Organizer for QWOC+ Boston | Nationalista y Poeta de las Mujeres)
Our discussion will aim to explore the following questions:
- Who is a femme? What does she look like? What does she sound like? Are there cultural differences with this idea?
- What attributes of femininity are traditionally perceived as weak or strong, feminist or unfeminist? Are they cultural differences with this idea?
- Individual experiences with (or without “feminism”) as women of color and allies
Feel free to start leaving comments below and chiming in (particularly if you will be unable to attend but would still like to participate!). A discussion is only as rich and encompassing of multi-perspectives as its participants.
More about Boston NOW’s Feminism and Dessert Program
Feminism and Dessert is a monthly series of engagingly informal talks about subjects that impact our daily lives (with a feminist slant of course). Feel free to bring your dinner, but dessert’s on us!
When: October 7th
Time: 7:00pm – 8:30pm
Where: Cambridge City Hall Annex *
344 Broadway, 2nd Floor Conference Room
Accessible from Central Square T stop (red line) and the 68, 83, 91, and 64 buses.
Feminist and Dessert is FREE and wheelchair accessible.