Submit! Nearly There is a zine project meant to address the serious absence and silencing of stories about the experiences of queer people of color.
Center Yourself at the Mind, Body, Soul Health Conference (2010 Schedule)
Saturday, July 31st, 2010
10:00am – 5:00pm
Simmons College’s Kotzen Meeting Center (Lefavour Hall)
300 The Fenway
About the Mini-Conference
The Mind, Body, & Soul Mini-Conference is yet another event that Queer Women of Color and Friends (QWOC+ Boston) has created to respond to voiced need of the local LGBT People of Color Community to have more frequent, crucial, round-table discussions – real talk – about the health of the marginalized groups within the mainstream queer community.
The organizers of the mini-conference believe that social networking and/or community-building are the necessary primary steps to take in addressing key socio-political health problems affecting LGBT people of color; breast cancer, HIV/AIDS, suicide prevention, and domestic violence awareness, to name a few. As such, the MIND, BODY, and SOUL Mini-Conference will seek to bring together
three various aspects of health – the mental, the physical, and the spiritual – via concurrent sessions presented by experienced community organizers, non-profit organizations, and health practitioners as a way to begin addressing these problems at the macro community level.
Thanks to the generosity of the Simmons Institute for Leadership and Change, The Network/La Red (Platinum Sponsor), and Fenway Health (Gold Sponsor) – the mini-conference will be held at Simmons College’s Kotzen Room (first floor of the library), and lunch/refreshments will be provided to attendees.
*This conference is OPEN TO ALL. Advanced registration/ticketing required. No one will be turned away due to lack of funds.
MINI-CONFERENCE SCHEDULE (subject to change, view descriptions here)
Session A (11:00AM-12:o0PM)
- Intro to the Benefits of Meditation (Including a Live Meditation Session) Led by People of Color Meditation Sitting Group (Workshop)
- Introduction to Early Morning Yoga (Stretching, Breathing, Centering for Beginners) Led by Mary Thomas and Abby Coakley (Workshop)
Session B (12:15PM-1:30PM)
- Heal Yourself at Home: Natural Home Remedies 101 presented by Dillon DiGiovanni, Holistic Health Counselor of SavorYourExistence.com (Workshop)
- The Upside of Going Down: The Ins and Outs of Sex Toys, Safe Sex, and More! (Workshop)
– 30 Minute Break – Food, Refreshments, and Socializing –
Session C (2:00PM-3:30 PM)
- How to Build Healthy Communities: Intra-Community Organizing within LGBT/Queer Communities of Color Led by Justice Williams, Social Justice Institute (Workshop)
- How to Talk About Healthy Relationships within Queer and Trans Communities of Color presented by the Network/La Red (Workshop)
Close-Out Session D (3:45PM-5 PM)
- The Elephant in the Room: How Can We Talk about Mental Health in Communities of Color?
IMPORTANT THINGS TO REMEMBER
- Pre-registration is encouraged as there is limited capacity per session
- Register at http://qwocweek2010.eventbrite.com/
- Please remember that the first session commences at 11:00AM prompt, so we encourage people to arrive by no later than 10:30 AM
- Lunch and refreshments will be available during the conference